Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Struggle: Part 1

Good Evening everyone and Happy Easter. After several days of not posting and thinking about what I should post next about, I figured that maybe I should lay it all out here on the blog and see what kind of feedback I get. So here it goes.
I first realized that I might not be the same as everyone else in the second half of the school year in 7th grade. This is where it begins. In the first half of the year, I had PE it was during a situation that developed in the shower room one day and one of the upperclassmen accused me of being gay. I of course vehemently denied this for the next several months until in the early spring I cam to the realization that I was indeed attracted to members of the same sex.
During the preceding months, I experienced exactly what MirrorBoy goes through everyday in his current school. At the end of 7th grade, my parents made the decision that we were going to sell our house in the town where we lived and move to another town in the same state. We did this and I started the 8th grade in an entirely different school system. It was during this time over the summer that I came to the realization that nobody at the new school would know me from adam and therefore I could start afresh.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, yes. Prob. many of us can identify with wot happens when someone else outs you. Often, even, they didn't mean any harm - just had no idea how prejudiced & insecure a lot of presumed het. boys are.

    So - now it's on to pastures new . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great timing on your parents' behalf! I wasn't tagged with gay rumors in school but I'm sure my childhood would've been even worse, had I been.

    I avoided the showers as much as possible in school. I wasn't afraid of getting a boner (tough to get turned on by boys you hate), but I was uncomfortable with other boys seeing me naked. In retrospect, I'm sure my being gay had a lot to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that your parents could move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a terrible shame that those sort of things go on, every day, all across the country. Just the other day a tragic story of an 11-year old boy who committed suicide because he could not take the bullying and gay-bashing he was subjected to. ELEVEN. God it makes you want to weep. Its a horrible thing to go through, and yet no one seems to find an answer.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highwayman

    it is a sad thing you went through and something i was glad to be able to avoid my whole life. i really feel for those who are tormented in this life

    look forward to reading the rest, take care and be safe

    bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the other commenters, it's a terrible thing that you and other have to go through the same thing day after day.

    Can't wait to hear the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was accused of being gay in a very similar situation. Things were never the same after that, although i was already a social outcast so the gay accusations didn't make things too much worse than they already were. Luckily, i moved to another state the following year, where i was able to conceal my sexuality. In hind sight, i wish i had come out then,despite the difficulties i would have faced.

    ReplyDelete

Same as everyone else's....Be nice